I love Totoro! If you have never seen the film, My Neighbor Totoro, I hope you have a chance to soon. It’s about two little girls who move to the country with their dad so they can be closer to their mom who is recovering at a nearby hospital. They discover magical creatures in their backyard forest and go on several adventures. It’s fluffy and fun, perfect if you’re feeling nostalgic about childhood. Every October I do an informal Totoro Week where I dress up food as Totoro because in another life I would totally be a kyaraben maker. I love kawaii things and Totoro is one of the most kawaii of all. Plus, he is awesome to make into food. Here’s a little roundup of all the Totoro food I’ve made the past 5 years. I’ve got a couple of things up my sleeve for this year, so keep your eyes peeled!
1. Chocolate Sparkle Soot Sprite Cookies: Chocolate-y and crisp yet chewy gluten free cookies made with almond flour and decorated with eyes for the cutest soot sprites.
2. Black Sesame Sugar and Snickerdoodle Totoro Cookies: The ultimate two-in-one cookie! Black sesame sugar cookies with little toffee snickerdoodle bellies.
3. Pumpkin Totoro Whoopie Pies: Fluffy Totoro pumpkin cookie cakes sandwiching a sweet mascarpone filling.
4. Totoro Inari Sushi: I love those little tofu sushi pockets, inari! These guys are cute and delicious 🙂
5. Kabocha Soup with a Totoro Egg-in-a-Hole: Fall vibes and the cutest egg ever.
6. Soot Sprite Sushi with Avocado: Super easy and tasty sushi balls with a hidden avocado filling.
7. Totoro Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars: Bake and slice creamy and dense pumpkin cheese made even better with Totoro faces.
8. Totoro Buttermilk Pancakes: Taking a little extra time to make your breakfast Totoro-y could be the best thing you do all day!
9. Totoro Jalapeno and Brie Grilled Cheese: who could resist that brie belly?
10. Totoro Spam Musubi: The OG Totoro that started it all, spam musubi with a Totoro twist.